Aluminium profiles are very convenient and easy to work with small to medium scale CNC machines. It is rigid enough for all purpose wood or mild steal working CNC machines. However if you plan to work with strong steels, aluminium profile frame structure might not strong enough for your CNC machine.
Aluminium is durable, lightweight, ductile and malleable metal. Aluminium is the most widely used non-ferrous metal and also naturally generates a protective oxide coating and is highly corrosion resistant. Aluminium is an excellent heat and electricity conductor. Aluminium is non-magnetic and non-sparking. Aluminium is 100% recyclable without any loss of its natural qualities. Due to this benefits it’s good idea to use Aluminium profiles for your DIY CNC machines.
Aluminium profiles as a V Slot linear rail system
When you investigating suitable aluminium profile for your CNC machine, soon you will find out about v slot profiles. The ‘V’ shaped groove on all four sides sets it apart from other aluminium extrusion linear rail designs and the precision you are able to attain when using it will guarantee you ultimate control from beginning to end. These aluminium profiles are designed with smoothness and accessibility in mind. Through utilising internal V grooves that enable linear motion to be achieved, you are able to bring projects that you have poured time and effort into, to life with considerable ease. It’s easy to work with – like other aluminium extrusions you are able to cut and shape it with a saw, and then only simple tools will be needed to fasten it in place and you are good to go. V Slot aluminium extrusions can use for many other applications. CNC machines, 3D printer frames and camera sliders like linear motion systems.
Benefits using aluminium profiles for your next CNC project
- Lightweight Compared to other metal, aluminium is less weights by volume. In fact, it is about one-third the weight of iron. Due to this fact it’s makes easier to handle and less expensive to ship.
- Strong When temperatures fall, aluminium actually becomes stronger. So cold weather applications are particularly well served by aluminium due to this fact. Aluminium profiles made with inner grooves like honey combs. With this construction, aluminium profiles can be made as strong as needed for most applications.
- It’s non-corrosive Aluminium surface protected by its own naturally occurring oxide film. Due this face it’s does not rust. Additional protection that can be further enhanced by anodizing or other finishing techniques.
- Conducts heat Aluminium conducts heat and cold. Based on weight and overall cost, aluminium is better than other common metals. These factors make ideal for applications requiring heat exchangers. Basically CNC machines having are long operating time. It is important to cool down stepper motors and other electronics. Aluminium mounts can be use as a heat sink applications for cool down these electronic and mechanical components.
- Non-sparking Aluminium doesn’t emit sparks. Non -sparking metal makes great choice in applications that involve explosive materials or that are used in highly flammable environments. Long running machines like CNC machines can be overheated and spark electronic components. With aluminium construction that can avoid catching accidental fires.
- Conducts electricity Bulk power transmissions generally take place via aluminium.
- Nonmagnetic Because aluminium does not acquire a magnetic charge, it’s useful for high-voltage applications, as well as for electronics, especially where magnetic fields come into play or where sensitive magnetic devices are employed.
- Resilient Aluminium combines strength with flexibility and can flex under loads or spring back from the shock of impact.
- ReflectiveHighly reflective aluminium can be used to shield products or areas from light, radio waves, or infrared radiation.
- Non-combustible Aluminium does not burn and, even at extremely high temperatures, it does not produce toxic fumes.
- Recyclable Aluminium retains a high scrap value. It can be recycled indefinitely without losing any of its superior characteristics.
- Accepts finishes Aluminium can be finished with a variety of common techniques, including liquid paint, powder coatings, anodizing, or electroplating.
- Seamless With aluminium, complex shapes can be realized in one-piece extruded sections without having to use mechanical joining methods. This makes the parts stronger and less likely to leak or loosen over time.
3D printed corner brackets for aluminium profile mounting
Aluminium profiles can be mounted with 3D printed corner brackets. You can download 3D printable STL files for corner brackects from Thingiverse. These plastic corner brackets are strong enough for 3D printer frames. However if you plan to work with strong steels or fast moving CNC machines, these plastic corner brackens are not strong enough for keeping machine frame steady. So it’s recommended to use metal corner brackets for these type of applications. Also aluminium profile fastening with steel corner brackets are much easier.
Steel corner brackets for strong frames
These corner brackets are attached to the central bore of the profile with self tapping screws. Also these brackets can be attach with domed or square shape end caps improve appearance and protect against injury or contamination.
Aluminium profiles able to self tapping
Aluminium profiles connector types
- End caps
- End connectors
- Cover profiles
- Sliding block
- Quick connectors
- Bolt connectors
- Core screw
- Cubic connector
- Tilting brackets
- Corner brackets
- Inner brackets
- Miter bracket
- Angle brackets
- Multi purpose brackets
- Foundation brackets
- 45 degree connector
- Profile connector
- Cross connector